On Nov. 7, 1902, the first Mountain View High School was officially inaugurated on the corner of what is now El Camino Real and Calderon Avenue. The maximum occupancy was for 611 children, and the building soon became too small.
Then, in 1923, a new high school was built on the 600 block of Castro Street at High School Way. Mountain View Union High School officially opened in September 1924. The "union" part was because the Los Altos and Whisman communities could attend, too.
As the city of Mountain View became more well-known because of its growing technology sector, great weather, fertile land and shops, singles and families arrived from all over the states. Soon thereafter, Mountain View Union High School exceeded the school's capacity once again. The school closed in June 1981 and was finally demolished in 1987.
Ultimately, the school was relocated to its new home on Truman Avenue and renamed . The part of the building that wasn't destroyed on Castro Street has become an apartment complex and the host of a few businesses, such as Coffee and .
Still, at the main gain of the apartment complex, you can find some of the emblems engraved on the wall at the old high school building that depicted some of the universities the students had attended.
Also, the name of , located right behind the apartment complex and along Shoreline Boulevard, honors the old mascot of the school, an eagle.