You’ve worked hard all day and you could use a refreshment before dinner. Good time to round-up the friends or your significant other to join you.
A host of Happy Hour venues are within easy access in town. Depending on your tastes or your mood or the occasion there’s bound to be one that strikes your fancy.
"I work until beer o'clock." – Stephen King
Options in town abound including a range of choices from casual local bars where you can play pool and listen to juke box music, to sports bars that also serve food while you catch some tennis or baseball coverage on the big screen, to a more elegant dining atmosphere with mellow tunes in the background.
Which is the best? You be the judge! See which of these Happy Hour stops hits you best.
Neighborhood Bar Happy Hours (Monday to Friday unless otherwise specified)
- : Happy Hour is on Sun and Mon, 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. $1 (regularly $2.50) for a pints of Pabst Blue Ribbon on tap and $2 for Heineken Light. Located at 1313 W. El Camino Real. Telephone: 650-965-8255. Diversions include pool table, juke box, darts and big-screen TVs.
- : Prices are already so low that every hour of every day is happy hour time, from 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. Diversions include live music, big-screen TVs, jukebox, and pool table. Located at 2534 Old Middlefield Way. Telephone: 650-940-9838.
- : Happy Hour is from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Well drinks start at $3.75 and domestic beers are $2.50. They also serve chips and nuts and they have a pool table and big-screen TVs. Come back sometime around 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. for the Sunday BBQ where, in addition to the same happy hour drink specials, mentioned here, they serve BBQ, at no charge, when you buy drinks. Located at 820 E. El Camino Real. Telephone: 650-969-2098.
- : Bar & Grill Happy Hour is from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. It’s $1 off all drinks and on Thursdays it’s $3 for Samuel Adams from 4 p.m. to midnite. The grill serves burritos, burgers, pizza, sandwiches, tacos, steaks and kitchen specials. Located at 881 E. El Camino Real. Telephone: 650-965-3100. Diversions include big-screen TVs and billiards tournaments.
Sport Bar, Dance Club, Brewery Happy Hours (Monday to Friday unless otherwise specified)
- : Happy Hour is every day from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. It’s $2 off everything and will periodically have specials. Located at 241 Castro St. Telephone: 650-961-0108. Perfect for the warmer weather, they have a patio and bar in back and there is a dance floor inside. Either stay later or come back to move to the tunes. Other diversions include big-screen TVs, darts and jukebox.
- : Happy Hour is Thursday to Saturday from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. It’s $2 for beers and champagne, $3 for apple martinis, and $4 for Don Julio shots. Big-Screen TVs allow you to catch up on what’s going on in the world. On Thursdays, they have a “reverse happy hour” where there is never a cover charge excluding special performances. Located at 257 Castro St. Telephone: 650-969-4847. Stay awhile and you can get on the dance floor as the DJ spins some electrifying tunes.
- : Happy Hour is from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., not including holidays or special theme nights. It’s $2 to $3.5 for draft beers and 40 to 50 percent off many selected menu items. They have a “Happy Hour – Round 2” seven days a week from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. It’s $5 for vodka redbull, $6 for Harlem bombs, $5 to $7 Milagro shots, $3.50 drafts and $3 bottles. Check their schedule for a variety of entertainment lined up from dancing to DJ music, comedy nights to Latin nights. Located at 223 Castro St. Telephone: 650-964-9151.
- : Happy Hour is from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. It’s $3.25 for selected beer pints and $4 for drinks. Food specials are ½ off and some selections include onion rings, shrimp, calamari, and other regular menu items. Stop by on Thursdays after 8 p.m. for $1 half pints. Located at 954 Villa St. Telephone: 650-965-2739.
- : Happy Hour is from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. It’s $3 for beer, $4 for house cocktails, and coming soon they will be taking 40% off appetizers. Call for details. Great for family, friends, and businesses. Enjoy the large-screen TVs and sports memorabilia while having appetizers with your beverage. Located at 191 Castro St.Telephone: 650-961-1491.
- : Happy Hour specials all day long during business hours. This sports and dive bar serves food and has a patio with outdoor seating to enjoy the summer weather and big-screen TVs to catch-up on all the sports events while enjoying the company of friends old and new. They also have DJs and live music – call for details. Located at 1431 Plymouth St. Telephone: 650-961-1992.
Casual to Elegant Restaurant Happy Hours
- Sakoon: Happy Hour is from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. They have a “Margarita Festival” featuring different choices for $4.50 and free pesto nan with cucumber dip. Their “Beer Mania” includes, on tap, $2 for Kingfisher, $3 for Fat Tire, and $3 for Blue Moon. The Indian dining establishment offers a classy and elegant atmosphere. Located at 357 Castro St., Telephone: 650-965-2000.
- : Happy Hour is from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. It’s half price for Mojitos, Sangrias, Caipirinha, house margaritas and $3 for well drinks and drafts. Food at the bar is offered at half price and they include their specialty tapas. On weekends, come back for vibrant and dance-worthy live jazz and latin sounds. This is a casual and elegant popular spot in downtown Mountain View. Located at 400 Castro St. Telephone: 650-940-9500.
- : Happy Hour is from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. It’s $3 for well drinks and drafts, $3 for house wine and $5 for bar snacks. Located at 420 Castro St. Telephone: 650-966-8124.
- Bushido: Happy Hour is Tuesday to Friday from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. It’s $1 for a small hot sake, $2 for a large hot sake, $2 for Sapporo and half off the menu of cocktails. For accompanying treats, it’s $1 an oyster and they have a small “happy hour” menu to include smoked salmon, crab, rock shrimp, teriyaki slider, and a special tofu concoction. The Japanese dining establishment offers a classy and trendy izikaya-style atmosphere. Located at 156 Castro St. Telephone: 650-386-6821.
- Scratch: Happy Hour is from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. It’s half price for wine by the glass, beers and appetizers. The cocktails are $7–regular price is $10. Located at 401 Castro St . Telephone: 650-237-3131.
- : Happy Hour is from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. It’s $2 for drinks and some appetizers will be discounted. Stick around on Fridays for the Live Mariachi Band on Fridays from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. This is a friendly neighborhood restaurant with a dining area and separate Cantina (full service bar). Located at 89 W. El Camino Real. Telephone: 650-625-8374.
- : Happy Hour is Sunday to Thursday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. It’s $4 for cocktails and house wines, $3 for bottled and draft beers (12 oz), $4 for a glass and $12 for a pitcher of sangria and $3 for appetizers, some of which include: jalapeno poppers, cocktail samosas, sami dil ruba, chicken nibblers, fish nuggets, and crab cake, all of which are available at the bar and patio. Located at 800 California St. Telephone: 650-960-3802.
- : Happy Hour is from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. Monday to Thursdays, and on Sundays happy hour is all day. It’s $2.99 for drafts and $4.50 for their classic margaritas. Tasty treats are $4.99 for burgers, nachos and eggrolls and $2.99 for fried mozzarella cheese and French fries. Located at 2560 W. El Camino Real. Telephone: 650-941-2227.
- : Happy Hour is from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the cantina. They have a $3 drink menu serving frozen or seasonal fresh fruit margaritas, domestic draft beers, house wines, and well drinks. The appetizers, at reduced prices, include crispy chicken flautas, nachos, spicy wings, fajita nachos. This is a family-friendly eatery with a children’s menu and there is an outdoor seating area to enjoy the summer weather. Located at 2116 W. El Camino Real. Telephone: 650-691-9955.
- has a “Ladies Night Out” on Thursdays from 5 p.m. where ladies can enjoy a flight of 3 cocktails for $12, small plates and tapas for $5, sliders and tacos for $4 and spiced Turkish hummus & pita for $3. Guys, maybe if you come as a guest of one of the ladies, you can enjoy this special offering too! In addition, they have “bottomless mimosas” and “2 for 1” bloody marys” during their weekend brunch from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The fine Mediterranean eatery has an outdoor seating area and is group-friendly and couple-friendly as well. Located at 186 Castro St. Telephone: 650-864-9940.
- : Features a full bar with their signature cocktails all day at happy-hour-like prices. $3 for Margaritas, Martinis, and Manhattans. Located at 939 W. El Camino Real. This traditional Italian restaurant has a warm, friendly and “funky” Italian atmosphere. Telephone: 650-967-5384.
- : Happy Hour is from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. for dine-in customers at the bar, lounge and patio area. It’s $3 to $3.50 for drafts, $5 for signature cocktails and selected wines by the glass and select appetizers are $4 to $5. They have recently added more selections to both the drinks and appetizers menu. Contemporarily designed, the Vietnamese fusion dining establishment has a classy and trendy ambience. Located at 110 Castro St. Telephone: 650-964-1888.
Whichever Happy Hour you decide to check out, definitely enjoy yourself and drink and drive responsibly. Let someone know if you need a ride home.