When I interviewed at Patch more than a year ago, I was asked where in California I wanted to be. Patch was expanding, and since I would be moving from New York City, I had options. But for me, the choice was clear: Silicon Valley.
I didn't know anything about Mountain View when they told me my placement. Well, except that was headquartered here. But as I prepared, my excitement built as I learned about , , , the , the and the city's wonderful parks, library and restaurants.
So as they say in the news business, I "hit the pavement," and I've been fortunate to have done and experienced so much in such a short amount of time.
Some of the year's highlights include:
- Covered the launches of and at the NASA Ames Exploration Center.
- of Space Shuttle Atlantis.
- Broke news about injury while reporting on the .
- Reported on the concert with Bonnie Raitt, Crosby Stills Nash, Jackson Browne and .
- , lead guitarist for Cage the Elephant.
- Walked backward without tripping during the .
- Mountain View High School's Oracle writers are.
- Watched how Mountain View came together to help Japanese earthquake and tsunami victims with food (the ) and exercise (Zumba). Actually, there's always something charitable taking place in the city!
- Spent an in the dark with strangers.
- And, of course, reported on President Barack Obama's arrival into Moffett Field and visit to the Computer History Museum this week for the LinkedIn town hall.
There's so much we've already done and so much more we want to do, including encouraging YOU the reader to engage more and contribute! Yes, you!
Mountain View Patch has grown and evolved throughout the year, thanks to all the wonderful people who contribute, read, comment, upload events and announcements, blog and interact with me and one another on Facebook and Twitter.
But we want everyone to feel like they can do so. Mountain View Patch is more than a news site—it's a community hub—and while we'll continue to bring you news and information, you should feel like you can use this platform to connect with others, too. This site's for you!
So thanks for a great first year, and let's keep having fun!