For those with non-violent warrants hanging over their heads, Santa Clara County law enforcement agencies have a little holiday gift for you—Operation Second Chance—which if taken advantage of properly, can prevent a county jail booking.
Throughout December anyone with non-violent misdemeanor or traffic warrants can go to any law enforcement agency in the county to get a warrant citation with a new "Promise to Appear" court date, according to officials.
This even applies to bail and warrants stamped "No Cite and Release" or "No Bail."
Operation Second Chance 2012 is directed toward all misdemeanor warrants. It does not cover any warrants involving violence or felonies, but officials still encourage those people to turn themselves in.
Those with outstanding misdemeanor warrants can go to their local police or sheriff’s stations and surrender themselves on the outstanding warrants and be released instead of going to jail when caught.
Over the last six years of Operation Second Chance more than 2,400 people have taken advantage of the program, self-surrendered and avoided jail time over the holidays, according to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's office.
Anyone with questions can contact the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Department Records Office at 408-808-4717.
The following are locations that will accept self-surrenders:
- Sheriff’s Office Headquarters, 24 hours a day – 7 days a week, 55 W. Younger Ave., San Jose & South County Sub-Station, M-F 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM, 80 W. Highland Ave., San Martin
- Mt. View Police Department, 7 days a week – 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM 1000 Villa St., Mountain View
- Campbell Police Department, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Wed 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, 70 North First St., Campbell
- Gilroy Police Department, M-F 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM 7301 Hanna St., Gilroy
- Los Altos Police Department, M-F 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, 1 N. San Antonio Rd., Los Altos
- Los Gatos Police Department, M-F 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, 110 E Main St., Los Gatos
- Milpitas Police Department, M-F 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, 1275 N Milpitas Blvd., Milpitas
- Morgan Hill Police Department, M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM 16200 Vineyard Blvd., Morgan Hill
- Santa Clara Police Department, M-F 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, 601 El Camino Real, Santa Clara
- San Jose Police Department, M-Thurs 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Closed 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM, 201 W. Mission St., San Jose
- Sunnyvale Dept. of Public Safety, 7 days a week - 7:00AM to 7:00PM, 700 All America Way, Sunnyvale
- Palo Alto Police Department, M-Thurs 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, 275 Forest Ave., Palo Alto
Don't miss a thing in Mountain View!