Discarded Smoking-Material Caused Dana Gardens Fire

Fire officials announce that cause of four-alarm blaze accidental.

The still lit ash from a discarded smoking-material has been declared the cause for the last week, fire officials reported today.

The has concluded the fire to be accidental.

The four-alarm blaze that ravaged building 'C' of Dana Gardens on Monday, Feb. 27 left approximately 50 people homeless after 26 apartment units were deemed uninhabitable. The fire caused $1.5 million dollars worth of damage, according to MVFD press release.

No residents suffered any injuries. However, two firefighters did sustained minor injuries while fighting the fire.

The MVFD wants to remind residents that according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) smoking materials are the leading cause of fire deaths in the United States.

They recommend that:

  • Whenever you smoke, use deep, wide, sturdy ashtrays, which should be set on something solid and hard to ignite, like an end-table.
  • If you smoke, smoke outside.
  • Before you throw out butts and ashes, make sure they are out. Dowsing in water or sand is the best way to do that.
  • Check under furniture cushions and in other places people smoke for cigarette butts that may have fallen out of sight.
  • To prevent a cigarette fire, you have to be alert. You won’t be if you’re sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
  • Smoking should not be allowed in a home where medical oxygen is used.
Claudia Cruz (Editor) March 10, 2012 at 07:10 AM
Thank goodness this wasn't a lot worse.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »