Information from the Mountain View Police Department:
It’s that time again. There are a people running around Mountain View trying to ruin the holidays by stealing your packages! Help us catch these Holiday Grinches by taking a few precautions when you ship a package to either yourself or someone else.
BEHAVIOR OF A HOLIDAY GRINCH
- These Grinches operate during the day not just under the cover of the night
- They tend to follow delivery vehicles
- Sometimes they work in pairs (one drives, the other is the runner)
- It doesn’t matter where you live Holiday Grinches know no boundaries
HOW YOU CAN DETER THE HOLIDAY GRINCH
- Require a signature upon delivery
- Sign-up for delivery updates on-line by tracking the location of your packages
- Have your packages delivered to a trusted neighbor
- Arrange for the package to be shipped to a location, like your workplace, trusted neighbor, friend or similar
- If you use a local package business, ask if your packages can be sent there
- Have the delivery company hold your package so you can pick it up at their local facility
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOUR PACKAGE IS STOLEN
- It never hurts to report stolen packages, which you can do easily on-line
- Report the stolen package to the correct shipping company:
- Holiday Grinches may travel in pairs or packs, but you live in a neighborhood with more eyes and ears. Talk to your neighbors about keeping an eye out for unusual activity.
- “See something, say something.” Report any suspicious activity right away by calling our non-emergency number at 650-903-6395.
- If you have the ability to take a photo or quick video, this will also help us to better identify possible suspects. You can send these to us at email@example.com and reference your case number if you have one.
- Write down descriptions of suspicious individuals and/or vehicles, like clothing, vehicle make and model, as well as license plate.
- You can send us an anonymous text at 274637. Be sure to include “mvtips” in the body of your message.