.

No Injuries in California Apartment Fire

Firefighters extinguish fire caused by accidental cooking in microwave.

One apartment suffered nearly $10,000 of damage during a two-alarm apartment fire, officials reported today.

No injuries to residents or firefighters was caused by the accidental cooking fire that began in a microwave at 2101 California St., according to Mountain View Fire Department spokeswoman Jaime Garret.

The call came in on Oct. 27 at 8:14 p.m. and when the fire fighters arrived at the three-story apartment complex, they saw smoke coming out from one of the units. They entered and extinguished the fire. Damage was limited to the one apartment.

"As we approach the end of Fire Prevention Month (October) it is important to remember that everyone needs to have working smoke detectors in their homes," said Garrett.

Fire alarms can help save 1,500 people a year, she noted.

For more information about smoke alarms and how they should be installed, please visit the NFPA's website at www.nfpa.org.

Ray Morneau October 28, 2011 at 04:06 PM
Glad no injuries! Good job, MVFD! ... but how does one have a microwave fire? They apparently don't happen often. But, if one could be prevented, I'd like to know more ... BMPs? warning signs?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something